Sunday, January 22, 2012

Movin' on Up

I like friends. I like friends at work. I don't like leaving friends. I don't like leaving friends from work.


I don't like change. Alas, change is inevitable. 


Peak season at Amazon was craziness. We hired on hundreds of new employees, some of whom I became friends with. Just tonight the last one of the temporary group was laid off. I am truly saddened. He was such a sweet guy and I also hate to think what his financial situation will be now. He has 5 kids at home and a wife who is disabled. Why do things like this happen to the best employees? He was always here late, taking care of the associates under his charge. It almost makes me want to cry. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the situation, so crying is nonsensical. 


Tonight is also my last Saturday night to work. I'll work Wednesday through Friday night next week and then start my new job at one of our sister buildings on Monday. In the four short months I've been at IND5, I have made countless friends and formed close relationships with many coworkers. The only reason I am leaving is because our shifts are consolidating, meaning my position is being eliminated. When I first heard the news, I was slightly upset. I had just started and now I'm being handed a severance package?! Now what do I do? Nothing against working for my family, but it doesn't pay the bills and it doesn't offer benefits... which I dreadfully need. 


Looking back on the experience, I realize I went through the Five Stages of Grief in a two week span. The night I found out I could be losing my job I was fine, because I was denying the circumstances. The next night however, I began to get angry, wanting to know why they were making this decision. Then came the bargaining: "Can I stay at the building and do a different job?". Finally came the tears and depression finally realizing I would not be able to stay with my myriad of friends at IND5. THAT was a tough stage. I think I'm in the acceptance stage now, but I am still not excited about the pending changes.


It does make you feel good when you announce your departure and it is met with unanimous sadness and pleas that you stay. 


Yes, it is a promotion. Yes, I will make more money. Yes, it will give me more experience. But I am stubborn and don't want to mess up a good thing. So sue me. I'm going to miss my buddies!











No comments: